Saturday, September 5, 2015

THE INSULT by RUPERT THOMSON

Rupert Thomson claims in an Interview when he looks back at his body of work he cant even remember writing some of his Books , which tallies with my recollection of reading this Book , i know i did but i cant remember doing so or even recall any meaningful part of it.
I wonder if this is a reflection of the type of Books he writes or if he has sublimely taken the reader into the mind of a Character himself that cannot remember his life and experiences.
In this context this review by Ryan Chapman in Goodreads may be worth a mention in full , though it has to be said to be it is a minority opinion.

"I'd heard such good things about Rupert Thompson. I might try another book down the road, but this one was uniquely terrible, I couldn't even finish it. From the unoriginal, solipsistic narrator to the meandering pace and dearth of any suspense or momentum, I couldn't help but think of the author sitting down every day and arbitrarily picking something new for his protagonist to do. ("Today I'll have him order a pastry!" ... "Today he should meet yet another person who's unexplainably friendly to him even though he's a dick toward everyone!")

If anything, this reminded me of Haruki Murakami, where the entire world happens to the male protagonist, in which he expends minimal effort to woo women, make friends, and embroil himself in vague mysteries. I can only take so many books with bored, listless middle-class guys (who somehow don't need to work a day job) narrating to the reader their peregrinations around the city.

I'm sure the myriad strands of the plot come together, but the central conceit is so weak I couldn't bring myself to care. Also, there are dozens of gaps in logic regarding when Blom can or cannot see (the rules Thompson creates for this only seem to apply when he doesn't feel like describing anything visual). An apt title for the book, indeed."
In this interview Rupert describes a later Book and some of his processes.Including a very profound definition that Novels can teach compassion by making one life on another person or society.



No comments:

Post a Comment